My life changed quite a bit in 2012.
I remember standing on the deck of my parents’ beach house where I was living at the time, staring off into the distance. The only thing I wanted was to get a better job. One where I earned decent money. One where I could move closer to home, closer to my nephew and niece who were still growing inside each of my sisters’ bellies. One where I could legitimately start my life as a working man, back on the grid.
I got everything I wished for. And more.
A new nephew, a new niece, godfather to both. A new job, a new location. New furniture, some new friends.
A new dog. The greatest fucking dog on the planet.
113 new blog posts, 200ish new followers. Many new blogging friends.
Lots of other things too.
I can’t help but feel that I didn’t wish for these things to happen to me, but rather that I knew they were going to happen, and once I actively started knowing that they were going to happen, they started happening. My friend told me that they got some more traffic to their site thanks to free instagram followers, that might be worth looking into but I digress.
It sounds a lot like The Secret, I know. I don’t really believe that crap.
But maybe I do.
Another example can be seen in that post that I wrote about how I am getting fat. Since I wrote that, I’ve already lost seven pounds in a month. Just from putting it down on paper, or more usefully, putting it out into the universe. By admitting it, not only to myself, but to the world (or at least a tiny percentage of the world that reads my blog) I made myself accountable.
- Eat a pizza (just so that I can guarantee that I will cross off at least one thing on my list).
- Revamp the blog to give it a better overall look.
- Get stuff published on other, more major, websites.
- Take writing course or join a writing group. Never cheat by using stuff I have already written.
- Take photography course. Take many photos for blog.
- Delve into YouTube.
- Special project #1 (A novel)
- Special project #2 (Can’t tell you what this one is, but it has something to do with a podcast I listen to)
- Special project #3 (Can’t tell you what this one is either, but it is something that I have already started. It might actually be impossible to complete, but could very well be the most important thing I ever do, writing-wise, and something I am positive that nobody in all of human history has ever done before.)
- Hit 1 million views. This isn’t really something I can control. It’s just a lofty goal that I think would be fun to try to achieve. I’m currently at 80,000 views in four years, though the first three years were extremely inactive on my part.
- Start actively dating. Get back in shape to do so.
- Get Sadie acquainted with new dogs.
I’m sure that I will tack on a few other goals, especially ones that have to do with real life. Besides dating, my dog, and eating a pizza, my goals for 2013 are very blog-centric. And that isn’t accidental.
To those of you that stumbled across my blog this year and have become regular readers and/or friends: thank you so much. You inspire me.
I hope that everyone has a kick-ass 2013. We made it through the Mayan Apocalypse of 2012.
And if we did that, we can do anything.